Throwback Thursday- Beyond The Plains: Where Are They Now? Catching Up with Chris Prosinski









By Jeff Bugher
Originally Published in 2022

This week I got to catch up with former UW Free Safety Chris Prosinski, who grew up in my hometown of Buffalo, Wyoming.  Chris played for UW for 5 years (2006-2010) and was ranked #4 in career tackles in UW history with 373.  Prosinksi was selected as the 121st pick in the 4th round of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars, and played for the following teams during his 7 year NFL career: 

2011-14- Jacksonville Jaguars
2014- Philadelphia Eagles
2015-2017-Chicago Bears

Tell us about your athletic career at Buffalo High School (football championships, basketball):

I was a 3 sport athlete at Buffalo High School. I competed in football, basketball, and track. I was fortunate to grow up with a really good group of guys. Many who are still my best friends to this day. We spent most of our childhood playing sports together and we were able to win 2 state championships in football, one in basketball, and I won several state track championships as well. Some of my best football memories are still from Friday nights under the lights with my best friends.
 

I remember you had offers from other schools, what led you to choose Wyoming?

My recruiting experience was probably a little different than most high school athletes. I committed to Wyoming my junior year, so I didn’t really go on any other college visits. Once coach Glenn offered me the scholarship, I knew it’s where I wanted to be and where I wanted to play football. Wyoming had just come off the Las Vegas Bowl win when I committed so there was a ton of buzz around the team. It was an easy decision.  

 Tell us about your time as a player at Wyoming?

I had some of the best experiences of my life during my time at Wyoming.  We had some highs and lows as a team during my 5 years, but the relationships and experiences I had are what I’ll always remember. Some of the highlights included beating Tennessee in Knoxville, winning the New Mexico bowl my junior year, and having a winning record against CSU during my time.

 
 As a Wyoming native, what was it like representing the Brown and Gold?

As a Wyoming kid I grew up going to Wyoming football and basketball games with my family. I grew up watching Josh Davis, Marcus Bailey, Casey Bramlet, Jovon Bouknight, and many of the other Wyoming greats. It was something that I always dreamed about, but you never know if it’s actually a reality.  It was an honor to wear the brown and gold and represent the loyal fans of Wyoming. Being the only University in the state, it always seemed as if the Pokes were the biggest show in the state. It’s really a special place and it was an honor to wear the Brown and Gold.

What was your most memorable game while being a Cowboy?

That’s a tough question. If I had to pick one, I would probably say my junior year when we went into Fort Collins and beat CSU to become bowl eligible. It was a really good game. I remember Austyn Carta Samuels breaking a big run and stiff arming the CSU safety to score late in the game and put us ahead. It was exciting to become bowl eligible, and even better that we did it against our rival. I would say when we beat Tennessee and our New Mexico Bowl win over Fresno State would be a close second.

During your college career, when did you know that NFL teams had an interest in you?

I started hearing some things after my junior season. Prior to that it was never on my mind or anything I was ever focused on. I started getting calls from agents after my junior year and that’s when I started to think that there might be an opportunity to keep playing.

Take us through the pre-draft process and to the moment you got the call.

The pre-draft process was a whirlwind, but a great experience overall. I didn’t get invited to the combine so I had to rely heavily on my pro day at UW and my pre-draft visits. I had a good feeling that I would get drafted in the later rounds, but I was pleasantly surprised when the Jags called in the 4th round. I was spending time with friends and family in Buffalo at the time I got the call. It turned out to be a great day.

 Did a lot of teams reach out?

I had interviews with most of the teams in the league. I went on pre-draft visits to Chicago, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville.

Did have a feeling it would be the Jags all along?

I knew they were interested because they had brought me on a pre-draft visit. I thought Philadelphia showed the most interest initially so I thought that might be where I ended up. Ironically, I ended up playing in Philadelphia after my time in Jacksonville.

What was it like starting your first NFL game? That had to have been a rush of emotions.

I ended up starting my first NFL game late in my rookie season. We played Tampa Bay and there were definitely many emotions and nerves. I ended up breaking my hand during the game, but it is a day I’ll always remember.

Talk a little more about your 7 year NFL career: What was your most memorable moment in your NFL career? (my favorite moment was when you intercepted Tom Brady).

I would say my interception against Tom Brady would definitely be one of my top highlights. My other most memorable moment would have been when I was in Chicago and we upset the Packers at Lambeau Field on Thanksgiving night. I played one of the best games of my career and was awarded the defensive game ball.

What have you been up to since you retired from the NFL?

Since retirement, my wife, Lexie, and I have moved back to Sheridan WY where we’ve settled and started a family. We currently have a 3-year-old daughter and a 1 year old son. I’ve also started a new career as a financial advisor at Eliason Financial in Sheridan.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalo Bills Superfan "Bills Elvis" and Bills Mafia Announce 3rd Annual "Cowboy Mafia Weekend" in Laramie

2023 War Memorial Football Parking: Exploring the Various Options

Dream Job Alert! UW Football Program Seeking Student Video Assistants